Reasons to Choose Custom Kitchen Cabinetry Over Off The Shelf Cabinets
If you are thinking of renovating your kitchen, or are having to make decisions for the type of kitchen you want in your new build home, you will know that choosing your kitchen cabinets is one of the biggest decisions to make. Custom kitchen cabinets are often thought of as a luxury, but there are many reasons to choose them over builder basic grade cabinets. Custom kitchens can be built to your exact needs and style, making them more unique to your space and ensuring every usable inch of space is functional.Builder basic cabinets typically are not customizable, making them less suitable for a variety of different styles and needs. In fact, custom kitchen cabinets may actually prove to be less expensive than builder basic cabinets in the long run, allowing you to spend more money on other aspects of your kitchen remodel.
Why Are Kitchen Cabinets So Important?
Cabinets are the core of your kitchen, the central feature that pulls the room together, something that you want to look good and last for many years to come. For most people, budget is a big consideration, but when it comes to kitchen cabinets, it’s worth investing a little more to get a superior product.
Custom kitchen cabinets are not only more durable than builder grade models, but they also look better and can last longer. This means they can actually save you money in the long run since you won’t need to replace the doors, shelving or hardware for many years.
What are Builder Grade Cabinets?
Building materials and goods used within your home are graded according to their quality. Understanding the different gradings can help you make informed decisions when you are renovating or building your home.
Builder grade, sometimes called builder basic or stock grade, are the type of mass-produced cabinetry found in big box stores and usually installed by contractors into new build homes. They are chosen by many for their on-the-spot affordability and availability.
However, while builder grade cabinets can be finished to look stylish and attractive, they are usually made of particle board with plywood and plastic veneer finishing, which are all susceptible to damage and moisture (we all know moisture is hard to avoid in the kitchen!)
While they may work well for a quick modern kitchen cabinet update, builder grade cabinets usually only have an expected lifespan of 5 years before they need significant repair or replacement. Around then, you’ll start to notice peeling, bubbling, fading and chipping, leaving your previously beautiful kitchen looking shabby. We are not fans of talking about the negatives of other products but rather prefer to emphasize the benefits of ours.
What are the Benefits of Custom Kitchen Cabinets?
If you’re looking for kitchen cabinets that are built to last, require little maintenance, maximize storage space, reflect your personal style and have the durability to look amazing for years, custom cabinets are your best option.
Some significant benefits to choosing custom kitchen cabinets include:
- Quality materials and construction – Usually made with a combination of plywood boxes and hardwood door fronts with additional supports, to ensure units are strong and sturdy. Soft close doors and drawers and quality hardware reduce wear and tear from repetitive use. These cabinets are hand-made by skilled tradespeople who take pride in their finished product being perfect.
- Personalized design and finishes – The options really are limitless with custom cabinets. You can choose the material used, style, stain or paint colour, trim, moulding and finishes so you end up with a completely unique kitchen that reflects your own style.
- Perfect fit and maximized use of space – Custom cabinets are designed to fit your space perfectly, even those awkward and hard-to-reach spots. This not only results in a flawless final look but it also maximizes every inch of storage space. Custom cabinets can optimize your kitchen zones, giving your kitchen a perfect flow.
- Customized to your specific needs – Want a built-in pantry? Prefer deeper drawers for storing pots and pans? Dreaming of a built-in spice rack? These things are no problem when your kitchen is being designed with you in mind.
- Increased property value – Custom kitchens give a good return on investment as they can easily increase the value of your home and make it more attractive to buyers.
- No DIY assembly required – No need to get stressed out over which door goes where! With custom cabinets, your kitchen design and installation company takes the project through to completion for you.
- Reduced environmental impact – An important consideration for some. Custom cabinetry is usually made with local wood products, produces very little waste product, and requires minimal shipping.
The many benefits of choosing custom cabinets for your kitchen make them better value for your money in the long run, as they will require little to no maintenance cost for a long time.
Why Custom Kitchen Cabinets are a Better Choice Than Builder Grade
To help you decide which type of cabinet is right for you, below are some of the main differences between builder grade and custom cabinets to consider:
- Builder Grade: Mass-produced with low-quality wood which is held together with glue, staples and screws.
- Custom: Hand-made using high-quality hardwood, held together with professional dovetail and mortice carpentry joints.
- Builder grade: Lower initial payout but will need replacing after a few years. Good choice for rental units or people who like to change style frequently.
- Custom: Higher initial payout but will last for up to 20 years thanks to high quality of design and manufacture. A good option for those looking for a kitchen that can stand the test of time.
- Builder grade: Mass manufacture means these cabinets are usually available within a few weeks. Remember to factor in time and cost for installation.
- Custom: Designing and creating custom cabinets may take longer, but the end result and ease of the process are worth it.
- Builder Grade: Limited finish and colour options. Come in predetermined box sizes which need to be fitted into your space.
- Custom: Limitless choice on design and finish. Designed to fit your space perfectly.
As you can see, custom kitchen cabinets are a better choice than builder basic cabinets for those looking for durability, quality, longevity and personalization.
Incredible Home is Your Custom Cabinet Specialist
Custom kitchen cabinets crafted by Incredible Home are a wise investment that will save you money in the long run.
Based in Victoria, BC and creating custom cabinetry for the whole home since 1993, our experienced team of designers and expert installers are proud to produce quality products for our customers. We manufacture all of our products working with our own in-house tradespeople and locally sourced materials.
Whatever your style preferences and storage needs, we can design custom kitchen cabinets that will exceed your expectations. Don’t forget as part of our complete custom kitchen design, we can also help with countertops.
For more information on custom kitchen cabinet design, contact us today, or stop by our showroom on Burnside Road in Victoria.