Your Complete Guide to Building a Man Cave in Your Home
A man cave could be considered an essential addition to anyone’s home. If your basement or garage is cluttered and underused, it’s the perfect space to transform into the modern man cave of your dreams.
Man caves (which of course are not just for men) are a place to unwind and indulge in some self-care, whatever that may look like to you. Whether you want somewhere to relax and read or a place to indulge in your creative hobby. Somewhere to display sports memorabilia or maybe just a space to hang out with your friends and watch the game. Whatever your vision is for your man cave, keep in mind that you’ll want to design a space that is functional and easy to keep tidy.
A garage man cave or basement man cave might be your dream, but if the space still needs to be used for other purposes, then organization and customized cabinetry is the answer to keeping everyone happy.
Add Custom Organization Systems to Your Man Cave
One of the most vital elements of any garage man cave is an organization system that works for you and the rest of the household. These essentials can keep everything stored away in the garage without getting in the way of your man cave activities.
- Cabinets and Closets: Keep everything hidden and organized in a heavy-duty cabinet or closet. Choosing a custom storage solution means you can control how many shelves go where, the depth of drawers and the colour and finish of the cabinetry.
- Handi Wall Slat System: Keep your essentials close at hand and displayed neatly with wall slats and utility bins. This organization hack will help you quickly access whatever you need and provide a neat, yet rugged look.
- Tilt Bins: Do you have a lot of screws, nuts, and bolts? Use tilt bins to keep them all in one place and within reach. Tilt bins are also an aesthetically pleasing wall organization hack. Alternatively – and this is a fun idea for a garage man cave – you can also keep different snacks in your tilt bins. (Make sure you clean them thoroughly first.)
Include Your Favourite Entertainment While Saving Space
You can add several entertainment essentials to spruce up your man cave that will not take up too much space. Here are some man cave basement ideas.
- Wall Mounted TV: Make sure your TV is wall mounted to reduce the space required to have one in your garage or basement man cave. Another great idea is to get a custom cabinet designer to create a media system for you where your TV can coexist in between the rest of your closet storage system. This way you can still enjoy the big game but maintain storage space.
- Create a Hidden Pool Table: If you’re crafty, there are lots of fun things you can add to your man cave. For example, quickly transform your pool table into a poker table with a wooden topper and some folding chairs for double the entertainment. This list of amazing man cave ideas from Morning Chores might also inspire you.
Don’t forget to add a comfy couch or some recliner chairs and some video games for the perfect hangout space.
Keep A Space Dedicated to Your Hobbies
No matter what your hobby is, you can make space for it in your garage man cave with wall organization and smart storage systems. For example:
- Wall Mounted Fishing Rods: Going fishing? Keep your rods easy to grab by mounting them on the wall. You could even use tilt bins to keep all your bait, tackle, and other small essentials for fishing.
- Hidden Murphy Bar: Have you always wanted to be a bartender? Or are you a collector of fine scotches and spirits? Creating a pull-down murphy bar is a great way to save space and keep your precious bottles out of sight. Just pull the top down and then its bottoms up!
- Woodworking: Center your man cave around your passion for woodworking and keep all your tools wall-mounted and within reach of your bench. If you have kids, you can keep your tools locked and concealed in a smart closet or cabinet specially designed for your needs.
- Beer Fridge: Whether your hobby is brewing beer or just drinking beer, you want to keep your bottles nice and frosty. Opt for a built-in fridge in one of your cabinets to save more space in your man cave bar. Give a spare refrigerator a second life and turn it into a multipurpose ice chest and attractive bench. If you’re a hunter requiring meat storage, this could be an excellent option for you as well.
Add Personal Touches on the Walls and In Display Cabinets
Keep your man cave warm by adding some personalized touches.
- Display Your Proudest Moments: Do you have trophies for winning sports games, school contests or anything else? Are you proud of your baseball, record or comic book collection? Put it on display with a bespoke shelving unit! AHS Home has some cool inspirational man cave ideas for your garage including a memorabilia man cave. We love it!
- Add Decals and Posters: Man cave décor is never complete without a funny poster or slogan such as “No Girls Allowed” or “In Here We Only Speak Beer and Pizza”. It’s your man cave, so you can put whatever you want on your walls. Whether it’s a signed record, a poster of your favourite band or an electric sign that says “bar”, adding personalized wall art will make it feel more like your space.
Opt For a Cabinet Finish That’s Easy to Clean
Yes, even though it’s a man cave, it must be easy to clean. In fact, because of all the hobby work and entertaining you might be doing in your garage man cave, make sure the finish you choose for your cabinetry is stain-proof and fuss-free. You will also want something that can withstand moisture, just in case.
Consult the Experts When Designing Your Man Cave
Getting the man cave you desire doesn’t have to be an impossible dream. For the ultimate man cave, choose to customize your garage or basement to your specific needs by working with leaders in the home organization industry. Incredible Home in Victoria, BC, has been helping homeowners realize home renovation dreams such as kitchen cabinets, closets and other home organization solutions since 1982.
Book a consultation with us today and see how far your garage man cave dreams can go!