Top Laundry Room Ideas and Decor
Laundry rooms are often overlooked, viewed as a utilitarian and basic necessity rather than a space to be enjoyed. It may not be the room where you sit and socialize with your guests, but with all the folding and ironing that you do, a lot of time is spent in there and it should be a space that is equal parts tranquil, stylish and functional.
Doing laundry and other household chores can be enjoyable with the right surroundings and proper organization can make the task go much more smoothly. It’s also worth noting that an updated laundry room can add value to your home.
Whether you’re looking to increase storage or just searching for inspiration, we have some tips on how you can create the laundry room of your dreams.
Use Custom Storage Solutions to Maximize Your Laundry Room Space
If you have a small laundry room, storage will be key to keeping things functional and organized. It can also be a fun way to personalize your room.
Some Storage and Decor Ideas for a Laundry Room with Limited Space:
- Store all your items – such as detergent, dryer balls, towels and stain removers in cabinets, drawers, or baskets. Beautiful cabinets are often the first thing that people notice and you can never go wrong with a wicker basket.
- Add a wall-mounted drying rack for extra storage.
- Add a corner sink for a washing-up station.
- Switch to a stacked washer and dryer to save precious floor space.
- Install a high-quality, sturdy hanging rod where you have blank space. The space between two cupboards is ideal for a rod to hang dedicates on.
- Treat yourself to a space-saving design that includes an array of drawers, upper cabinets, and/or pull-out shelves to fully utilize vertical space. Our staff here at Incredible Home would love to help you with this, as cabinetry and storage solutions are our expertise. We would love to discuss your ideas and wish list for your space.
- Install a pull-out or pull-down ironing board to add function without losing valuable storage space.
- If really pressed for space, laundry carts or laundry baskets on wheels hide dirty clothes and clean clothes waiting to be put away.
- Add extra task lighting to brighten a smaller, darker laundry room.
If you have a large laundry room, and you are not quite sure what to do with all the space, you’re lucky – there are so many fun ways to take advantage and make it useful.
Some Storage and Decor Ideas for a Larger Laundry Room:
- Create a designated folding station (if there isn’t one already) complete with large marble or quartz countertops and ample storage. You can even add a comfortable chair, so you can sit while you sort and fold.
- Add a large farmhouse sink for washing up. You could even add a dog/pet washing station for post-play cleanups.
- Add custom cabinetry to double, or even triple, your storage space.
- Turn the room into a laundry/mudroom combination. With the right design ideas, this combination can be surprisingly inviting and multi functional. Pinterest and Houzz are great places to look for inspiration.
- If you have a water heater in your laundry /utility room and you are not happy with how it looks, consider adding a custom linen closet or cabinet to cover it. This can add extra space for storage at the same time.
Personalize Your Laundry Room with Colour and Decor
No rules here! Your laundry room space can be as bold or neutral as you wish – it doesn’t necessarily have to match the rest of the rooms in your house. Here are some ideas to create a stylish space. You never know, laundry might become your favourite chore!
- Blue, beige, mint green, gray, yellow, black, and white are believed to be the best colours for laundry rooms. If your room doesn’t have any windows for natural light, colours like white and mint green will help to brighten it up. Try a brightly coloured accent wall.
- Accent your wall and protect from spills and splashes with a beautiful backsplash. Your backsplash can be as dramatic or subtle as you like.
- Accentuate with framed artwork or quotes, or antiques, to make it feel extra comfortable. Store your laundry detergents and pods in pretty canisters or glass jars.
- Upgrade your appliances. Not only are newer appliances more energy-efficient, but today’s appliances come in a rainbow of hues to help make chores more fun.
- Add plants. House plants can be a really pleasing way to add some tranquility and nature into the room and can actually help clean the air. For example, aloe vera is said to be great for clearing out the formaldehyde and benzene that lingers from our house cleaners, paints, and other chemicals.
- Update light and plumbing fixtures. Even something as small as a new doorknob can change the feel of a room.
- Ceramic and cement tile is popular and an optimal choice of flooring for laundry rooms. If your flooring isn’t heated, adding in a rug or mat would be a great way to decorate the room while adding some protection against cold, and potentially slippery tiles.
If you’re feeling inspired and considering a laundry room upgrade, don’t hesitate to contact us here at Incredible Home. Our designers are experts in custom storage solutions, and we would be delighted to help you get the most out of your space. We bring years of experience to the table, and functionality is our specialty. Contact us today, or visit our showroom in Victoria on Burnside Road from Monday to Saturday.