What to Consider When Buying a New Custom Vanity
Choosing the perfect bathroom vanity is a large part of designing a bathroom that fits your lifestyle. As the focal point of your master bathroom, powder room, guest bathroom or family bathroom, having the perfect vanity can make all the difference. Your bathroom deserves a beautiful vanity and you deserve plenty of functional storage and surface area for all your necessities and little luxuries.
Picture specialized his & her storage, a small appliance garage for your hairdryer and straight iron collection, or even just the ability to tuck those everyday necessities out of sight while still being perfectly organized.
Interested in upgrading your bathroom furnishings to a top-quality solid wood piece that will stand the test of time? Read on for our guide to choosing the perfect bathroom vanity.
Types of Bathroom Vanities
Just like bathrooms, vanities come in all configurations and styles. Popular options include:
- Single-sink – ideal in smaller rooms used primarily by one person. Also good for those wanting additional counter space.
- Double-sink – best for master or family bathrooms which are used by multiple people and require lots of storage options.
- Floating – the units are anchored to the wall with no connection to the ground. This creates a clean modern look and more floor space.
- Built-in – these vanities are flush with the floor, maximizing storage capacity.
- Freestanding – a more traditional furniture look, with support legs.
- Corner – great options for powder rooms and small bathrooms with limited floor space.
5 Things to Keep in Mind When Choosing a Bathroom Vanity
The size of your room, its main purpose, your storage requirements and your preferred style will all influence the type of vanity for your bathroom.
If you are looking to upgrade your bathroom vanity – make sure you consider the following questions before you start to shop:
1. What is your budget?
Knowing your budget will help guide your decisions regarding which materials and finishes you choose. Don’t forget to include the cost of finishing touches like faucets and hardware too. At Incredible Home, we have a custom solution for every project and every budget.
2. What are your needs for the bathroom?
Consider how you typically use the bathroom you are upgrading. Is it a rarely used guest room that requires little storage? Is it a family bathroom used by multiple people that needs to be easy to clean with plenty of integrated storage solutions? This article by HGTV offers advice about the best vanity styles for different bathrooms.
3. What space do you have to work with?
Having accurate measurements of your room will help you work out what type and size of vanity will best fit your bathroom or powder room. Make sure you allow space for doors to open and sufficient access to the toilet and bath/shower. A custom-designed bathroom vanity from Incredible Home will be made specifically for your space, ensuring a perfect fit, look and feel for your bathroom upgrade.
What are the common dimensions for vanity units?
- Height – 30-32 inches is standard although up to 36 inches is also a popular option.
- Depth – 21 inches is standard, but can go as shallow as 12 inches for small spaces, and can be deeper where space is not limited.
- Width – standard widths in pre-made vanities can range from 24 – 60 inches and can go as long as 80 inches.
Remember to allow an extra inch on the width and depth for the countertop overhang.
4. Where is your plumbing and electrical?
Although it is possible to move your sink, using the existing plumbing will keep installation costs to a minimum. Investigate where your electrical points are in the room. Are there enough to support your small appliances (ie. hairdryer, straightener, electric toothbrush, razor, etc)? If you want to raise the height of your countertop will you have to move these outlets and switches? Remember to seek expert advice for any plumbing or electrical work. When in doubt, we can recommend many excellent contractors.
5. How much storage do you need in your bathroom?
Do you like having toiletries out on display or do you want everything behind closed doors? Do you prefer drawers, cupboards, or a combination? Do you want mirrors to add functionality and the look of a larger room, or do you prefer finished wood doors? Modern bathroom storage solutions include u-shaped drawers, lazy susans, open shelving and appliance storage – all ideal for stashing your daily go-to items. With a well-organized custom bathroom vanity, everything will be in its place when you need it.
Choosing Your Bathroom Vanity – Balancing Style and Practicality
Once you know your basic requirements, the space you have to work with and your budget; you can start the fun part – choosing your new bathroom vanity! There are many materials and style options for every aesthetic, whether you embrace an antique, modern or transitional style or anything in between.
Materials: Your bathroom is a warm and damp place so to prevent damage you should choose materials that are water-resistant and easy to clean. Options include:
- Solid wood – stained and sealed
- Veneers – a more affordable alternative to solid wood
- Laminates – a modern look with easy to care for synthetic finishes
Countertops: Choose something that is durable, easy to clean, water and stain-resistant for the best longevity:
- Natural stone – marble and granite are the most popular options of natural stone due to their durability and appealing high-end look.
- Engineered stone / composite – these have the look of natural stone with superior resilience against mould, mildew, stains and damage.
- Solid surface – made from synthetic composites and resin moulded into shape, ideal for integrated sinks and one-piece designs with no seams.
- Laminate – budget option which is easy to clean.
- Ceramic / porcelain tile – durable, but requires regular grout maintenance.
See this article from the Spruce.com for more pros and cons of each countertop option.
Finishing touches: Let your style shine through when choosing your finishing touches:
- Sink type – under-mounted, integrated, drop-in or vessel style
- Faucets – single hole, centre set, wall-mounted; styles and finish options are endless
- Hardware – don’t forget the handles! Whether simple or statement, make sure they match your faucet finish.
Let Incredible Home Design Your Custom Bathroom Vanity
If you’re looking for a new bathroom vanity, consider a custom-built bathroom vanity by Incredible Home – designed to fit perfectly into your space.
Our knowledgeable team is here to help you design and choose your new custom bathroom vanity, guaranteed to add style to your space. Visit our showroom to see examples of cabinets, work tops, sinks and other accessories. Whatever your taste and specific needs, we have many options to enhance your bathroom.
Visit us today at Burnside Road in Victoria BC or contact us to arrange a complimentary in-home measure.