Adding a Wine Storage Area in Your House Is Likely Easier Than You Think
As we head into the holiday season, entertaining and wine come to mind. Wine has become a pleasure for so many and as such, storage needs arise. Wine storage and wine rooms need not be daunting, however.
“One of the great pleasures of learning about and enjoying wine is curating a wine collection that is personal to your tastes. But choosing and buying wines are only part of the process: they also must be stored. When preserved correctly, wine can last for decades, even centuries, growing in value and quality. But poor storage can spoil even the greatest wines in the world.”
– James Suckling
At Incredible Home, we have some clients who are looking for a fully dedicated wine room, while others are just looking to incorporate a specialized wine storage area into their homes. Many clients are choosing to include wine storage in their kitchens and entertaining spaces and we have many designs and solutions that can accommodate this special storage area. Sleek wine peg systems offer a modern touch, while more traditional racks for display and storage can be finished in a stain or paint colour to coordinate with the space and design.
While it may be considered a luxury to build a wine room into a new house design, finding space to store your wine in a renovation scenario is a luxury attainable to pretty much any homeowner.
Although it can require some serious creativity, wine storage areas and wine rooms can be carved out of the most unusual spaces. From the forgotten space under the stairs to an overly large utility room, underutilized pantries or spare bedrooms – a wine room can be born. If space allows, you may also wish to include a countertop, a tasting bar or table for two. Expert design here is key as you’ll want to maximize the storage space while taking care to blend aesthetics and comfort. And that’s where the team here at Incredible Home excels – we’re experts in designing creative storage areas… in some of the most unusual spaces!
There are many elements that can go into a custom wine room or storage area. Here are some things to think about when considering adding a wine area to your home.
- How much wine do you wish to store? We have several styles of cabinetry to house case lots, individual bottles or display bottles.
- Would you like to display special bottles?
- Would you like to include labels to identify varieties? Consider brass or white metal labels to be affixed to shelves to separate your Pinot Noir from your Cabernet and so on.
- Climate control is something to think about. Your room can be fitted with equipment to control the climate so that your Reds are shelf ready and your Whites and Rosés are chilled to just the right temperature.
- Consider adding a refrigerator for the Whites, Rosés and Bubblies.
- Lighting is an important element in the design. We do not want the wine to overheat under hot lights.
- Will you use the space for storage only or will you incorporate seating or a countertop?
- Do you require space for other beverages and bar items?
If you’ve never stored wine long-term before, you might want to familiarize yourself with how to properly store wine at home.
If you’ve ever thought that your house needed an area to store your wine, reach out to Incredible Home to see what’s possible and let us begin the process of designing a custom home wine room or wine storage area.